I know it seems a tad early for a review of 2013, but it has
been a year since the greatest thing ever happened to me. Like really. About exactly
one year ago I took a leap of faith and met the man I was put on this
earth to be with, Simon Green, or as most know him @fellmonkey78.
We had chatted for months on twitter. It seemed too good to
be true. He was funny, a fell runner, loved music, artistic, nature boy, really
hot (way too hot for me) and a really, genuinely nice guy. Oh and he was
single!! The only downside really was Simon actually lived in Sheffield and me,
with my ever loving and supporting folks in Glasgow. But hey, it’s not that far
away…..
So with some encouragement from others, we took a leap of
faith and met at the end of November in Ambleside. From then on my life has changed completely, in ways I can’t
even describe or even at times, get my head round.
Yeah, yeah, I know it all sounds airy fairy, too good to be
true, not real, I mean “we met on twitter”. He could be anyone, told me
anything (I didn't exactly have a good track record with nutters)! But, Simon
was and is exactly what it says on the “fellmonkey tin", with the kindest heart
and most loving soul.
For years I believed in deep down true love and happy
endings and had a view in my head of how a relationship, or life with someone
should be. But, on the other hand, after years of heartache (losing my husband
at 25 and a subsequent 7 years in an abusive relationship), I had firmly come
to the conclusion that it was a “lot of crap”. Relationships were overrated,
not for me, people would always let you down etc. Friends and family said, oh
the right person is out there somewhere, yeah yeah I thought. I heard the
recurring message of “you’ll know when it’s right”. AYE RIGHT I thought.
But, this last year has blown away any cynical thoughts I
had about relationships and has truly been the best year of my life. Yes, we
have had difficulties, but nothing we can’t ever overcome, together, and with
the love and support of our families, which is truly awesome. We are blessed.
I came back from that weekend in Ambleside, with a glow and
look in me that my parents had never seen. They knew something was different
and I couldn't contain my excitement. “Dudes, I have found the lid for my
teapot, the man I want to spend the rest of my life with”. They were overjoyed,
but obviously concerned (I mean my last few choices hadn't exactly been great)!
Within two weeks, I was making a trip down south to meet
Simon's family, with the wise advice from my Dad “hold something back, don’t
give too much away, play it cool”! Bwhaaaaa, not really my style, as my Dad
well knew.
Simon drove me back up to my parents three days before
Christmas and told them he wanted to spend his life with me and the rest they
say is history.
He passed the glaring cynical eyes of the J’Doll (my mum), the late
night questioning from my Denzo (my Dad), the extended family Burns Night, (we told him he
needed to sing and play guitar, and he did, wearing a tartan “see you Jimmy
wig”), and the whole time I knew this had been the missing part of me.
By mid February Simon and I were heading south with most of
my worldly possessions packed in a van and embarking on our first adventure,
setting up home as "Team Swizzlemonkey".
The rest has been a total whirlwind of fun, laughs (lots of laughs), some sadness and crazy adventures. We bought a camper van and travelled around the peaks, running and goofing about. We launched the “Bingo-Bongo VDub Club" with my bro Paul @pyllon (and haven’t have had any where near enough adventures yet). We supported my brother on some epic race performances, winning the West Highland Way Race 95 mile Ultra (#whw) in June, in a record breaking time, being the best and most emotional journey ever. We had family weekends and surprise trips. We went to Chamonix for the UTMB. We danced in our living room, drank gin (lots) and made goofy stuff. We got tattoos. We lived life the way you should, which has been our new motto since.
In early spring we took a trip to the Lakes and Simon asked
me to marry him. We quickly decided that we wanted to do it this year and
promptly set about planning the type of wedding “we” wanted.
Within weeks we had a plan and a date and a theme we wanted,
September 21st 2013 in Wasdale, Cumbria and set about organising and
making stuff. Yup, I was in my craft element and pretty much made everything
for our wedding, from cake stands, to teacup candles, to jars of jam.
![]() |
| Craft Heaven, Wasdale Head Inn. |
I can’t actually put into words yet how amazing our wedding
day was. It was truly perfect. We had our family and friends there in the
remotest, most stunning location. It was relaxed, fun, full of cake and full of
love. I cried, like really, but have never been happier.
Our families embraced it in ways I didn't think possible. The cake buffet being testament to their love for us, as well as their own craziness! We had a "lilacswirl" twitter cake, crocheted cakes, a mountain cake with two runners on, Mexican wedding biscuits and a full scale cake periodic table-"Team Swizzlemonkey, It must be chemistry!
Our families embraced it in ways I didn't think possible. The cake buffet being testament to their love for us, as well as their own craziness! We had a "lilacswirl" twitter cake, crocheted cakes, a mountain cake with two runners on, Mexican wedding biscuits and a full scale cake periodic table-"Team Swizzlemonkey, It must be chemistry!
I also don’t think I really have had time to take in the
enormity of it and how truly wonderful it was. A week after our wedding we
moved house and so another adventure begun. Since the end of September we have
been furiously renovating out house, from an unloved hovel into a beautiful
home.The hardest part I guess has been having no wifi until this weekend!! Wedding was over and it has been full on and into paint mode.
Its been really hard work, but I am loving building our home
together and creating a beautiful space we want to live in. Swizzlemonkey HQ is
taking shape nicely.
I have written this post
for no other reason than I wanted to. It has been the most manic, crazy, fun filled year ever, from being a
single girl living in Glasgow, to a married wifey living in Sheffield. Life
works in mysterious ways sometimes and am grateful beyond belief for it, every
day, and for having the families we do and the love of my life to share it with.
I didn't think this type of life was possible for me.
I am always the first person to put myself down, the first
one to think the worst, that I didn't deserve things to go well, cause they
never did for me, but this is the new
Nicola. One that doesn't think the
worst, one that goes with the flow and stops worrying about silly things or
what other people think, doesn't feel guilty and worthless. I am worth this and
God knows I am enjoying the journey.
So what does 2014 hold? Man, I don’t know, but I really am
going to enjoy it and have never started a year so excited. I am on the verge
of setting up my own company baking cakes, lots of cakes, (watch this space), so I am guessing it
will involve a lot of icing sugar, mess and mixing bowls. I've also found the
craft bug for restoring old furniture, so who knows. And hopefully, if we are
lucky, one day, we might think about some wee swizzlemonkeys.
In the meantime, we
will continue our adventures and maybe try and lose some of this post marriage celebration flubber we seemed to have gained!
Yes,
I even changed my name, something as my family know, was a definite no-no for
me,. But I love it. I love being a wife, sorry, I Love being Simon’s wife, Mrs
Nicola Green.
![]() |
| It's official, our shoes say so! |

.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)


Well done. So happy for you both.x
ReplyDelete